September 12, 2013 | Posted in Uncategorized | By
August 6, 2013 | Posted in Uncategorized | By
ALCOHOL BEVERAGE Industry
The manufacturing, distribution, sales and consumption of alcohol beverages are regulated differently than other food and beverages. Most federal, state and local alcohol laws came after 1933 when the 21st Amendment to the Constitution was ratified. The 21st Amendment granted to each of the states the authority to regulate the sale of alcohol beverages.
There are THREE separate and independent business groups in the alcohol beverage industry:
- Licensed Suppliers (brewers and other manufacturers)
- Licensed Distributors (beer, wine and other distributors are privately-owned; the state of Ohio acts as the distributor of high-proof alcohol beverages)
- Licensed Retailers (your local grocery stores, convenience stores, restaurants, taverns, and others)
This system was designed to separate retailers from control by suppliers, encourage moderation in consumption, guarantee full collection of state and federal taxes, and permit states to enact rules on the licensed beverage industry that reflect their own practices and beliefs.
For more than 80 years, the state of Ohio has worked successfully within this system for distributing beer and wine that’s good for taxpayers, for consumers, and for businesses.
It works because it:
- Helps achieve the state’s long-standing policy goal of carefully regulating alcohol beverage distribution;
- Ensures the state collects alcohol taxes efficiently;
- Guarantees that consumers have access to a wide selection of beer and wine at reasonable prices; and
- Supports a thriving retail industry.
Beerco and City Beverage are proud to be part of the “2nd / Middle Tier” of the alcohol beverage industry in Ohio.
Beerco and City Beverage are very active in promoting the safe and responsible use of our products. We support Designated Driver Programs, I.D. verification, and server training to prevent underage consumption. We also bring in educational speakers to talk to local students about making good choices in their lives. We provide educational pamphlets to schools, parents, and organizations to reinforce family communication about alcohol awareness.
Our people and companies have a long history of giving back to our local communities. Whether it’s local charities, schools, churches, civic organizations, environmental groups, or the arts, we take pride in supporting the communities in which we live and work. Many of us serve on community boards and are involved in coaching youth athletics. We’re also proud supporters of numerous local festivals and fundraisers. Please contact us with your requests.